Happy New Year! We anxiously watched the ball drop last night, ushering in a new year, full of possibilities. We counted down the seconds until the first breath of the first minute of the first blank page of 2016…ready to start writing our new chapter.
Here it is, the 1st Day of a brand new year and a brand new start…so now what? Many of us fall into this mental rut on January 1st. We say farewell to the year that has passed with all the hope and promise of the newness before us. Then, when we crest the other side…well, we aren’t quite sure where to start. If this sounds like you, here are 10 things that will help you to get started in creating that awesome new beginning you are searching for!
- Set Intentions instead of Resolutions – Everyone has heard of and probably made a new years resolution before. Most of us have also seen those resolutions crumble before our eyes. It’s a running joke to see how quickly someone will give up on their resolution. This is why I set intentions. What is the difference between resolutions and intentions, you say?
- A resolution is something that we decide to do or give up for our own desires, at the betterment of our human self…it is very carnal. it’s something we decide to do and then force ourselves to stick to, like some kind of martyrdom of self. It is a solution to an existing “problem”. It focuses on the past.
- An intention is something that comes from deep within; a desire toward the future and what we want to bring about in our lives. It is essential to our being, spiritual in its way. The focus is not on solving a problem, but on hope and promise for the energy and flow of the future. It’s about awareness of self, enlightening of that awareness and movement toward a goal.The Setting of intentions leads the way to success and new achievement, with the promise of attainability, focus and positivist toward yourself, even if you slip up one day.
- Feed your Body what it Needs – Eating right and making healthy choices goes a long way to healing and helping the body to do its job in the best way possible. I’m not an advocate of dieting…they always fail and WILL always fail because they are not self-sustaining. Habits and lifestyles are self sustaining. A lifestyle change to healthier eating and more conscious food choices is what is needed…not to lose weight, not to drop a dress size, not to look better naked…but to give your body the BEST fuel, so it can put out the BEST work. This doesn’t mean you need to be a food expert, or deny yourself the good stuff; it means educating yourself on what you body needs and then doing your best to give it those things. Allow your body to be smart and capable at its highest level.
- Create a Mindset of Movement – We get this idea in our heads that we HAVE to do an hour long yoga session, a cross-fit training session, a 30 minute heart-rate bouncing aerobic system in order to effectively move and stay in shape. While yes, those things will get you fit faster, the reality of the situation is this: simply creating a mindset of movement is all you really need to keep yourself fit and healthy. We live such a naturally sedentary lifestyle. We need to create a mindset…aka, a mental shift…toward movement at any opportunity. Go ahead and do the workouts when you can, by all means! In every other instance, make conscious choices to move MORE. Do the little things…take the dog for a jog instead of a walk. Push your kids on the swings instead of sitting back on the bench. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Allow Yourself Some Downtime – We all have the same 24 hours in a day, and we are all busy. The reality is that none of us have “enough” time. Another reality, though, is the NEED for downtime. In this “always on the go”, “instant gratification”, “800 mile long to-do list” world that we live in, it is IMPERATIVE that we take the time to breathe once in a while. Not only does our body need rest, but our minds need rest as well. We need time to reset and recharge. When you find yourself saying “I don’t have time to take a break, I have too much to get done”, that is probably the BEST time to stop what you are doing and take a 15 minute breather to meditate, read a book or simply kick up your feet and relax for a moment. We are more productive when we are rested.
- Manage Your Stress – Stress runs high during the holidays, and sometimes even higher at the start of the new year, when everything seems to have been put on hold and you find yourself having to work overtime to re-motivate yourself into action. This is prime time to make sure you keep your stress levels in check. Stress is not only mentally taxing, but physically damaging to our bodies. It can cause havoc and discontent in our relationships, with our children, at work and with our general well-being. Take a warm bath or shower, go to the spa and get a massage if you can swing it, talk to a therapist or your best friend, veg out, meditate or do yoga, take a walk, have an awesome love-making session…whatever your particular zen happens to be, find it and make time to use it to decompress your stress.
- Be Proactive in Your Health – It is important not to simply treat health concerns, but to be proactive in taking control of your personal health and well-being, as well as those close to you. Educate yourself on proactive approaches to healthcare and wellness. Listen to your body. Treat your body well. Use natural resources to support your body fully and holistically: mind, body and spirit. The key in healthcare is to KEEP yourself healthy from the get-go.
- Challenge Yourself – Learn something new. Do something new. Try something you never thought you could, or would. Push yourself out of your comfort zone, if only ONCE. Success and fulfillment in life is rarely achieved by standing by and watching life happen. Allow yourself to get excited about something scary, because you will never know what you are capable of if you never try something you are too afraid to do. Challenging yourself is hard work, but it is also completely empowering. There is nothing like the feeling of standing on the other side of the impossible, screaming “It’s Possible! I did it!”
- Reduce Toxins in Your Life – In the modern times, we are surrounded by toxins. Chemical toxins, GMOs, over-processed foods, environmental toxins, pesticides, electro-magnetic toxins, radiation, and even toxic people. We will never be able to avoid all toxins unless we live inside a bubble, but there are ways we can reduce our toxic loads. Replace harsh, synthetic, chemical-heavy household cleaners with more natural alternatives. I personally love this brand for household cleaners. This is a great laundry soap! You can even opt to make your own DIY cleaners that are super easy, using pure essential oils! When it comes to taking care of the family, especially the little ones, you can even makeover your diaper bag with all-natural products for baby! Try to find organic alternatives to foods your eat, especially fruits and meats, and avoid over-processed foods that contain GMOs and hormones. Above all else, protect yourself, your family and your sanity by weeding out toxic people and toxic thoughts from your life. Nothing can bring your down like someone or something that is determined to bring your down. Don’t allow yourself to take on the negativity of others.
- Do Something Creative – Everyone should find time to create SOMETHING. Not everyone is a musician, or an artist…but creating is more than just art, or words or lyrics. Creativity can take many forms. Maybe creativity for you is doing an awesome redecorating job, building something, or reorganizing your office. Maybe it’s landing that project at work and owning it like a boss. Maybe it’s learning how to cook a new dish, or growing a garden. Maybe it’s teaching something new to your child. Maybe it’s inventing some new contraption, a new dance, or even a new word, just for fun. It might even be as simple as entertaining a new idea, plan or goal. Whatever it is, whatever you feel inspired to create, do it, because there is no such thing as a non-creative person. Everyone has creative power and everyone has something to offer.
- Love Yourself – At the top of the list, this is an important concept that cannot be stressed enough. We all have baggage, have made mistakes, have fallen down, have made fools of ourselves countless times, have failed, have loved and lost, have been hurt, have been bullied, have suffered loss. We are ALL part of the human condition. We all need to be accepted, to feel happiness, to receive forgiveness, to be encouraged, and to be loved. The problem is, these things very rarely come from others when we need them the most. We need to learn to be our own number 1 fans, our own cheerleaders, and our own best friends. Everyone is fighting their own battles. Friends, family, loved ones…they are always there, but no one understands you like you, and no one can love and accept you like you. Learn to appreciate yourself, forgive yourself, inspire yourself and LOVE YOURSELF…for everything you ARE and for everything you are NOT. It will be the best gift you will ever give AND receive.
Happy new year my friends! I wish you a happy, healthy, abundant 2016!!!
Peace, Love, & Wellness,